Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Professional Development


         Ahh…summer, time to kick back, enjoy the sun, lay around by a pool and just generally do nothing.  Teachers have it made right?  Wrong!  Since becoming a teacher, actually even before that – since beginning this journey in education, I have spent every single summer immersed in education, taking classes, first to become a teacher, then to complete my master’s degree, next my reading teacher's license, and now as professional development to continue my quest to improve.  This summer I’m taking three courses; two are through St. Thomas University.  One of the courses is about poverty and how it affects students and their education.  The second course is on RTI and developing personalized learning plans for students.  I’m currently working on the RTI class.  It was scary at first (a personalized learning plan for each and very student?  Yikes!), but as I’m getting more into the course I’m realizing that I’m already doing many of the things that are recommend for tier one and tier two interventions.  Breathing a little easier now…
The other course I’m taking is also on personalized learning but with more of a technology twist to it.  This is an online course my school district is requiring all teachers to complete over the summer.  It’s only four modules and is mostly an introduction to the importance of “being connected”. It emphasizes how we can use technology to help our students become connected, incorporate personalized learning, and become connected educators.  Currently I am working on the second module, which deals with PLN (personal learning networks).  I’ve been a member of Englishcompanion.ning for over a year and love the friendships and knowledge I’ve gained.  I also “tweet” but so far it’s mainly been with family and friends, to stay in touch.
            What I’m wondering….. 
What PLNs do you belong to?  How have they helped you?
Do you tweet?  Who do you follow/recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment